Instructors - Osher
Become an Osher Instructor
The strength of the Osher program is found in our family of dynamic instructors who have a passion for teaching and a strong dedication to Osher members. Osher instructors are committed to lifelong learning and deeply engaged in the process. They selflessly invest their time and energy while sharing their expertise, with a goal of inspiring and enriching the lives of Osher members.
Dear Prospective Osher Instructors,
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of Kansas is always looking for instructors to join us in our quest to provide lifelong learning opportunities to seniors. The Osher Institute partners with retirement communities, museums, art organizations, historical societies, libraries and private foundations to provide engaging venues for Osher members. Our members joy of learning makes your love of teaching a mutually fulfilling experience. No grades, no credit—just the pleasure of sharing your knowledge and experience with those who greatly appreciate that gift. Any topic is fair game; and you don’t need a degree in the subject you want to teach, just an enthusiastic commitment to lifelong learning.
If you’re interested in teaching with us, here’s what you should know:
- Our course format is typically three weekly sessions, 90 minutes each week.
- We offer courses in summer (June–July), fall (Sept.–Dec.), and spring (Feb.–April).
- There is usually no homework, no tests, no pressure.
- We offer courses at nearly 30 sites throughout the state of Kansas, and provide online offerings serving seniors nationally.
- While many of our instructors donate their services, we do have the ability to compensate instructors.
I invite you to join the Osher family and experience the joy of giving to a community of lifelong learners who will appreciate you as a teacher and value you as a new member of their community. If you are interested in teaching an Osher class, please e-mail me. I look forward to hearing from you. Visit our Current Instructors page to meet our instructors.
Thank you and best wishes,
Director, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at KU